Saturday, August 22, 2009

Week 6- First Post

This week I plan to read all of the assignments except for "Now is Gone" and "The Online Advertising Playbook." This is mainly due to how much I want to print.
I also plan on posting early so that I am not competing with the MedNet assignment and assignments in other classes.
Today I'm going to talk about the Always On Chapter 3. The first thing I was amazed by is that Volvo launched a car with only online advertising. I can't really believe that. It makes sense to me to work adds for used cars but for new cars, its more surprising to pick exclusively online. This is due to the fact that I feel like alot more people shop for used cars online than new cars.
I also find that impulse buys online tend to happen while people are browsing so in someways this cuts the advertising in half. Companies do not need advertising away from and at the source since the source is the only spot.
I do wonder about fragmentation though. It seems intuitive that this will lead to more advertising money needed since there are more spots to advertise. Where does this money come from? Is it time to decide that the digital world has changed businesses enough that we should change the overall business model?
I feel that this digital advertising is such a hot topic right now that it is huge for a company to be on the forefront because somebody will write about it, and this is basically free advertising.
I also started thinking about the Dream House competition when reading about Home Depot, so laughed when it showed up a few pages later.
This did make me think of how TV in general is merging campaigns with online sites and in particular blogs. This seems to be happening in shows that focus on 20 year olds who grew up with computers. The TV shows that I can think of which have online sites that are merged with Web 2.0 engaged models are: Entourage, Lost, and the Hills. Some of these have extra characters and in others you can blog with characters. This also made me realize that its becoming very normal from TV, nightly news, radio... whatever, to hear TV or radio tell you to check their website for more or expanded information.

No comments:

Post a Comment