Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week 3 End of Week Blog

I'm going to comment quickly on the two video clips from this week.
First, on the James Surowiecki interview. I found this to be a far more interesting clip. First I liked how to discussed how little blogging there was post Tsunami and how people were disappointed with the bloggers. It seems funny that this could be the attitude about a slightly less industrialized area and still everybody is expected to be attached to their phones and computers. I also feel like now they would be. That the interceding few years have connected all areas.
I also like the thoughts of blogs v. news and who is reporting "real" news. There are always also arguments between the gossipy companies and big news companies. As much as I cannot believe I'm doing this, because I am so sick of the coverage, but this makes me think of Michael Jackson's death. The story was the biggest so far this year and it wasn't broken by CNN or the New York Times, instead it was broken by TMZ. This seems on par with the bloggers breaking the George Bush falsified papers. A large insult and probably embarrassing situation for the big news outlets. Also at my work when the rumors started, nobody went and turned on a TV to see the news, instead everybody got on Iphones and computers looking for into. One this shows you how powerful the digital media is and the fact people were willing to "work" to find their own news.
I was also interested in the ideas that while one blog can be totally incorrect, the large mass of them will normally be far more accurate when viewed as a whole. The ant circling concept was also scary, but seems to become harder and harder as the internet involves larger numbers of people.
On the Twitter video, I found it interesting that CEO does not feel it involves "news" per say. I have added CNN and Time to my tweets, and they are the ones I probably look at the most. I do feel that CNN could be doing a far better job getting stories tweeted as they happen.
I did find it interesting when he was asked about how to pay for Twitter. I liked the fact that he was saying that they would "find" new ways, this seems appropriate since it is a new phenomenon.
Final thought for the week: It seems ridiculous that on blogger.com the word bloggers is not recognized by the spell check.

1 comment:

  1. Bloggers and Twitterers will increasingly be the first to break news stories. Think about the risks involved. For CNN or CBS to announce something, it had better be true or the consequences can be huge. (Remember Dan Rather?) On the other hand, the risk-reward equation is totally different for a blogger. If he/she is first, then that's an accomplishment. If that same blogger is wrong, then people may say, "Oh well. They're not professionals," and forget about it."

    Frank

    ReplyDelete