Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 5- First Post

This week I plan to read all of the assignments since there are a reasonable amount of them.
For the first post, I'll concentrate on the Kimberly-Clark video. I found some of the thoughts in this video interesting. First of all the overall move away from focus groups. These were seen as the sterotypical advertising tool, but it does make sense that as we get more information on what people are actually buying, it becomes pointless to ask them what they "would" buy.
I also know that the "virtual" stores are all the craze in many different forms, stores, cars, clothing, but I'd like to see data that shows they actually work. I feel like they may be a cool new toy that sounds great, but is actually just weird to the actual customer. That is how I feel, but maybe I'm the minority. I would never buy a product based on how it looks on me without seeing it first. Its just too weird and I am not that trustworthy.
I also wonder about the retinal scan. It seems like a great invention for marketers in that it can see where the person is focusing when they might not even realize that; however, I feel like this is another area that may push into privacy issues.

1 comment:

  1. Eye tracking and other physiological reactions to advertising and products have been used for many years. The techniques have become much more sophisticated, but getting useful information from the data that is created has been difficult. The threat of manipulation of consumers lurks in the background, but fortunately, advertisers are don't seem to be even close to achieving such manipulation. And, the social web is making it more difficult, I think, for manipulation and deception to occur. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'm not worried much about brainwashing.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete