Friday, August 28, 2009

Final Blog

Today, I’ll talk about the CEO of Google talk and the articles “Googlenomics” and “Advertisers Face Hurdles on Social Networking Sites.” On the Google articles I was interested because I didn’t know that it was effectively an advertising site or was working it’s own style. I honestly may be a little behind here but I hadn’t even thought of my search results as being advertisements until I was told they were. It makes a lot of sense. I was noticed when our other classes suddenly came in with game theory and the Long Tail. I do like the fact that they also effectively do quality assurance with their quality scores. I really like the fact you get a penalty if the quality is too low, it’s a smart move on Google’s side since it should cause Google itself to have higher credibility with consumers.
For the CEO talk, I was interested to hear more about the mobile market being the big future, and hadn’t thought about emerging markets. It is amazing that everybody can access a library. That is huge in the education and honestly could do a lot to move the third world closer to everybody else. England was always known for having an amazing library system because they were all combined. So from any public library you could get any book at any library shipped to you. This huge cumbersome system will soon exist on everybody’s Iphones. Crazy. I found the idea of the smart TV to be awesome. I hadn’t thought about that, but if my TV could have items available that I like, that’d be great. I do like the fact that he admitted that no we don’t have the advertising answers for social networking now, but don’t discount innovation. I also love the idea of Google ocean. Not sure what it has to do with this class, but it sounds cool and I might look at it during my next study break. Finally, I find the idea of Google Blips finding uncommon searches and using this to estimate future actions. This would be helpful for multiple sites to adopt.
And for my final blog thoughts for this class, the “Advertisers Face Hurdles” article. I agree that the banner ad is not effective, or at least I avoid them. And out of principle alone, I refuse to click on an add that floats, moves, or hides what I’m trying to read. It seems like advertisers tried to take ideas that worked in traditional ads and just throw them on a new advertising venue. Advertising needs to meet the medium, and these are almost the exact opposite of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment