Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Week 2- Midweek Blog

First of all my digital experment is not going well in England. Suprisingly very few wireless networks to jump onto. There are far less than I saw in Greece a few months ago, which surpises me. Also, I appologize for any incorrect capitilizations and symbols, the differences between the US and UK keyboards are killing me.
Today, I'll look at the impression I had from reading the "Always On", chapter two reading. The first thought I had was that companies need to be very careful today when creating a recognizable slogan. These slogans used to be unavoidable due to advertising, but now that consumers have the ability to avoid advertising and express annoyance with slogans, these companies are treading a very thin line. If these slogans are not popular or are annoying, the back lash could be far worse than if the company had got no attention at all.
The idea of media multi=tasking is also interesting due to the fact that despite being a large proponent of trying this, I realize that my level of production decreases dramatically when I do this. Perhaps younger generations are more successful at this than I am, but even this blog is taking me awhile to do while I watch a movie at the same time. My experience shows that when I am attempting to media multi=task something has to fall aside. If the advertisements are not engaging, they will not even register.
I also found it interesting to conside the untapped markets which arise due to the focus of most advertising on youth. The fragmented nature of hte internet seems like an easier place to address this than primetime TV where more market sements are most likely watching the same shows. On the internet the increased options make it easier to specialize to reach a specific market segment.
The only thing I am questioning is the increased need for customer involvement and feedback. Consumers expect this today and companies are working to make this possible, but it feels like this will create information overload and a large increase in funding in order to process this information.

1 comment:

  1. I found the author's discussion of Gen X, Y, etc. in Always On interesting. The first part of the chapter admonished marketers to not view consumers in the aggregate and then he goes ahead and discuss three groups in which there is undoubtedly a great deal of diversity. (Not all people born between 1960 and 1980 are slackers or even have any of the characteristics of slackers.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete