Sunday, July 19, 2009

learning goals for this week- 19 July

Honestly, this week, I'd just like to start thinking about and learning about how the digital world is changing marketing. Clearly it is a totally different "game" than it was in the past and the old ideals don't work anymore, but I've never really put any thought into it. I'm finding the whole idea actually pretty interesting.
Three specific things that I want to look into, beyond the assignments are:
1. I was intrigued by the "Tremor" idea mentioned in the book.
2. Looking at Christopher Penn's blog this morning I found two different concepts interesting: One respondent put that he feels that marketing need to provide an experience to be successful, and another put that it is necessary to engage the customers. This is very different than the traditional approach where brand awareness was the goal.
3. When I was whining about having to join Twitter for this class, (Sorry, but I was really avoiding it until this point, but am actually liking some of the news sites and so forth that you can follow.) a friend of mine in the recruiting industry told me that the social networking sites are majorly changing their field. This makes a lot of sense but he said he does have some interesting articles I can look at on the topic.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    You have been busy with posts and I am far behind in reading them. I'll go through these one at a time.

    The Tremor effort by P&G is indeed interesting. The basis for doing this goes back decades to the original work on opinion leaders and their influence on others. The internet gives marketers (and politicians, etc.) a new and better way to harness the force of opinion leadership.

    Twitter certainly is interesting. I'm not sure how long I'll keep up with it. There are a lot of people "following" me that I've never heard of, but I don't want to set my site as private for the class.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete